Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 40 Years ago

Re: 40 Years ago 9 years 11 months ago #9387

• RichW
Similar story here Ken. I took my 22 year old daughter for her first concert in southend just before christmas and then again to Manchester with orchestra and choir last month. We're talking Rhianna fan here, but she was absolutely blown away by both concerts. I have been given my orders now, "Dad, dont you ever buy tickets for Steve Harley without getting me one too!".
Alice won't be disappointed :}
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re: 40 Years ago 9 years 11 months ago #9388

• Mr Raffles
Cockney Rebel had already appeared on various TV shows in Holland and Belgium etc and the Old Grey Whistle Test in the UK but it was on the evening of 23rd May 1974 that many of our lives changed forever. Maybe one day that whole performance will be found and I will no longer hate the fact that I have no memory of it whatsoever!
Attachments:

Re:40 Years ago 9 years 11 months ago #9389

• sssikuk
TOTP's Judy Teen was also my introduction to Steve.
A month later I bought Psychomodo one of my all time favourite LP's.

I can remember buying Human Menagerie after Psychomodo. A local record store had it marked up at £2.35. I saved my pocket money for a couple of weeks, went to the store to but it and it had gone up to £2.75!
I still took it upto the counter and said how much is this (even though it was marked on the sleeve) and the lady said £2.75.
I replied, oh, I've only got £2.35 and turned and left the store.

The next thing was she came running out of the store and caught up with me and said you can have it for £2.35!

I was one happy 11 year old.

Re:40 Years ago 9 years 11 months ago #9390

• Fox
I forgot to mention that as it turned out, I was glad I bought the "Human Menagerie" Album, and the single of "Judy Teen", because had I not bought the single, I would never have discovered "Spaced Out" the amazing B side! That track is one of my all time favourites, and that never found its way onto either of the original Cockney Rebel albums, either. That is a track that only the hardcore Rebel fans are familiar with, because of its obscurity. I did however recently buy the "Anthology" Boxset in order to get a CD version. "Violin!" Magic!

Re:40 Years ago 9 years 11 months ago #9392

• mick_mckenzie
Nice story, sssikuk.

Judy was my CR introduction, all those years ago, quickly leading to Psychomodo and Menagerie. Remember the papers trying to pigeonhole the music, as in a poor man's bowie/roxy etc., but this is because they were clueless. He wasn't any man's anything other than himself. Although if Timeless Flight had been the first they might have spotted a bit of Bob. ;)

Mick

Re:40 Years ago 9 years 11 months ago #9393

• Rebel
This was my first memories of Cockney Rebel, which I originally posted on this site when it first started in 2009.

Back in 74 I went with one of my mates (Dave Baker) to buy what I thought was going to be 'Band on the Run'. Once in HMV Dave picked up Psychomodo and despite my protests he insisted on buying it, instead of the aforementioned Wings Album.
I had never heard of Cockney Rebel, despite Dave trying to convince me otherwise by humming the tune to Mr Soft all the way home. I wasn't impressed, since 'Band on the Run' had to be better than this Cockney whatever.
However, once home and the album on my record deck, it was quickly apparent that Dave Baker had taste. The LP was played repeatedly for about 5 hours (especially Ritz, which was just mesmerizing). As a 13 year this was the best music I had ever heard. I was totally hooked and have been eversince.

It seems like yesterday, that I can still remember the screams of dismay from my mum when I felttipped the word 'Psychomodo' on the back of my brand new Wrangler jacket. Oh to be 13 again!

I quickly brought my own copy of Psychomodo and then Human Menagerie, which if possible, was even better. Even today, HM remains my favourite LP of all time and although my wife says it is inappropriate, I long for 'deathtrip' to be played at my funeral. Not that I'm dying but can you think of a more majestic song to go out to.
Mind you the wife will no doubt have the final say, as she did when vetoing my wish to call one of our kids 'Sebastian' as and when they were born. Calling them Emma and Lucy instead!

Cockney Rebel songs have seemingly become integrated with my life. I even once finished with a girlfriend by putting the receiver of the phone to the speaker, as the words 'I said get lost, disappear, get out of my life' (mad mad moonlight live) blasted out.

Sadly Dave Baker died a few years ago. The day after his death, I saw SH and Cockney Rebel in Leamington Spa, which in itself was poignant enough. However when they played Ritz (the first time I can ever remember them doing so in the many concerts I've seen), I can honestly say it brought a tear or two to my eyes.

Having had the music of SH & Cockney Rebel in my life for so long, it seems that every song evokes some sort of memory of days long gone.

Am I just a little obsessive or maybe a little sad or have Cockney Rebel actually gotten under the skin of anyone else?
  • Page: